Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, May 7, 2012

Lucas is as big as a WHAT???

No idea what this fruit (a durian) is but it is absolutely amazing that my little man has reached this size!!! According to our weekly email, Lucas is growing quickly and constantly changing in preparation for his arrival! He is keeping his eyes open while awake, he is starting to coordinate breathing with sucking and swallowing, his bones are hardening and his brain continues to go through major development!

Today we had that ultrasound that I was having such a hard time being patient about because when the nurse practitioner scheduled it 4 weeks ago, she had mentioned that it was because my belly was smaller than what it should be or had to be at the time.  Even though she never made me think that she was concerned about Lucas's growth, that was a thought that I couldn't escape from and it truly hunted me for weeks!....that was until I saw his little face on that screen today, until I saw him "waving" to mommy and grandma Manis, who I felt so blessed to have there to share that moment with (seeing him even brought tears to her eyes), and hearing his heartbeat, seeing his little spine, his head, his brain, his femur, even his "pieces" (yes, he was showing off!!!)...All I could think about was "God, I'm just so in loved with him already!" but then the ultrasound tech asked "how tall are you mom?" I answered with some hesitation, then she asked, how about dad?", when I said 5'11", she smiled and said something like "well, looks like Lucas is going to be a BIG BOY, he is measuring perfectly and he is already weighing 5lbs 3oz!!!!" I couldn't believe it!, he is already bigger than Craig was when he was born and we still have 7 weeks to go!!!!!!!, Nonetheless, I couldn't stop smiling...my belly may not be that big but I think because of his size, I can really feel him kicking my right kidney, crushing my ribs and "bear-hugging" my heart and lungs depending on how I'm positioned!!!

After the ultrasound, the nurse got my weight (which didn't change much from last time) and took us back to the room. We waited to see Anna (the nurse practitioner) and after looking at the ultrasound pictures and readings, she shared my excitement about Lucas's development! She had a medical student with her so she asked if she could measure my belly, and of course it measured small...again!!!! I'm measuring at 27 weeks even though I'm 33 weeks today!!! But there is no more worrying :) Anna then asked if I had spoken to the cardiologist about delivery and I told her that he had voiced his concern about the possible length of time a woman can be in labor since that is one of God's great mysteries! She then stopped me mid-sentenced and said "well then, we will schedule a c-section to make sure you don't go in distress". I was happy....I know not many people get happy at the thought of major surgery, but I really felt a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. We tentatively scheduled it for Monday June 18th with Dr. Datell but will make it official in 2 weeks when I go back to the office!!! "What if I go into labor early?" I asked a little bit concerned right before I left, and she replied "when we determine that it is truly labor, then we will take you to get the c-section right then!".....with that said, I left that office with my 6 week countdown, a BIG smile on my face, ultrasound pictures of my baby boy in hand and more ready than ever to meet him!!! June 18th is one day before my mom's birthday and she says this will be the "best gift ever" :)

1 comment:

  1. So happy for you and Craig. God bless baby Lucas. Im very excited for his arrival to this world.

    ReplyDelete