Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

"Lub-Dub"

I remember in nursing school, I was taught that the sounds the heart makes are "lub" and "dub" and that was the S1 and S2 or first and second noises generated by the beating heart as the blood travels through it.  I also learned the movement of the ventricles as the blood entered one and travelled to the next, and as fascinating as that was at the time, today I saw it for the first time in our unborn child.

Not actual, but very similar!!
I didn't get much sleep last night thinking about today. I got to the shop early and as I worked sending emails and decorating cupcakes, it was finally time to go see the doctor. We were told today's appointment would be to just to go over test results, but deep down I hoped that the nurse practitioner would want to take a quick look!.....to my surprise, she did!!! first thing she said when she came in was "let's take a look", so I quickly laid down and as she put that warm gel and started searching for our tiny raspberry, I closed my eyes, said a quick prayer and held my breath until she sighed and said "there it is!, there is your baby's heart rate going at about 300 beats per minute at this time...isn't that amazing????" I turned my head and there is was, a really tiny flickering on the screen....the most beautiful thing I have ever seen....

She froze the picture on the screen only for a few seconds, but it was long enough for both Craig and I to take a good mental picture, smile so big to the point of almost crying and ask her if there was any chance she was looking at 2!!!! She smiled and said "I definitely see 1, so I think there's only 1 in there!!!" We again smiled, this time with some relief. The appointment went on and we went over the test results. "Everything looks great" she said as she read down the numbers on her screen, but when we got to my vitamin D, she paused. "It is way too low Paula", I couldn't believe it, again? really? so needless to say, Im back on more pills!. Before leaving the appointment, I got my flu shot and had to have some more blood work done because apparently my thyroid was elevated in 2010 and no doctor ever told us!!! We should have those results by next week.... now let the countdown begin for 3 more weeks before our official ultrasound and the very first real picture of our Baby Pitt....for now, here is the baby bump, 8 weeks down, 30+ to go :) and loving every second of it!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment