Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

#1 Done!!!

I'm a few days late posting this entry because for almost 1 week I've been fighting a terrible cold!!!! This past Monday, baby and I made it through a HUGE milestone (Craig also, of course, putting up with our pregnancy craziness), we are done with our first trimester and looking forward to the next 2.

This cold has definitely slowed us down a little....it started with a dry cough that turned into what truly felt like my lungs bursting, body aches, fever, chills and a bit of a bad mood!!! I called my OB to find out what I could take (as my nursing knowledge has clearly vanished!!), and after getting the do's and don'ts from the nurse, my mom went out and got me Tylenol Cold Syrup. I took it as directed for a whole day before I came to the conclusion that it wasn't working AT ALL!!!! The following day, I rested all day in between cough spells. The following day, after not seeing any improvement, Craig insisted on going to the ER for a quick Xray, antibiotics and a "work note" (just kidding!). We mainly wanted to make sure that it wasn't bronchitis, pneumonia or the flu that could hurt the baby, so we waited patiently for our doctor and nurse. Got settled in our room and after letting Chris (our nurse) know about our pregnancy, she ran out and grabbed the doppler. "We are finally going to hear the baby's heart beat!!" I thought as I coughed!...and there it was, the most beautiful sound in the world, boom boom boom at 155 beats per minute! Craig's eyes filled with tears as he leaned down to kiss me. It was the highlight of the sickness and it made all the body aches and sleepless nights worthwhile.  Our doctor decided that he wasn't going to do xrays, or give out antibiotics but he was going to try 2 saline breathing treatments to loosen up the junk in my lungs.  After a couple of hours and no relief, he called the OB. Unfortunately they suggested narcotics (which I refused), steroids (which given my history with them, I refused), and a Lidocaine breathing treatment, which I gladly accepted when I figured it would at least numb my throat which was burning like crazy from the constant cough!!! The relief lasted only a few minutes and we were discharged from the hospital with a Vicodin script and orders to rest and drink fluids.  The next couple of days thats exactly what I did, as my mom worked at the shop, and finally tonight I see the light at the end of this mucous-filled tunnel. Im not coughing as often as I was, although it continues to be nasty, temp seems to be running normal to low grade and my whole body still hurts but I like to think I'm improving :) Tomorrow will be another day and we shall see.....

As for the baby, things are changing fast!!! Baby is almost done developing important systems and body parts, which means, it's mostly about getting bigger and more mature from here on out. Baby's brain is developing fast, developing reflexes, and now baby is opening and closing fingers and curling toes!!!

Stay tuned for an updated baby bump picture.....

No comments:

Post a Comment